In the Health Information Lab you’ll learn about health literacy — the communication component of healthcare. You’ll get a fresh perspective on giving health information, both written and spoken, from your trainer and the other participants. This lab is very practical and includes time to review some of your own documents. Scroll down for more details.
We can schedule this course for you — contact us to learn more
Register your interest now
Health Information Lab — deliver or write information for health consumers that's easy to take in and use
In your work, do you give health information to different audiences — members of the public who are not familiar with the topic and medical experts who are? The Health Information Lab is based on international best practice in health writing. We will explore ways you can use plain language techniques to connect effectively with a range of health consumers in your workplace and community.
Health Information Lab is for anyone who delivers, writes, or edits health information. We can customise the lab to meet your time and topic requirements.
In Health Information Lab covers the following topics:
• Identify what makes health information complex
• Learn about international trends in health literacy
• Consider the impact of people's health literacy on their health outcomes
• Understand how plain English principles work for health information
• Apply a standard to lift the effectiveness of any health document.
You can have a unique training programme customised especially for your organisation. Contact us to talk about your training needs.
‘An informative, relaxed session, well presented and very useful!’
Annamaria Apathy, Learning Media
‘This is a very important workshop for anyone who writes in the health sector - in particular those who write for health consumers. It encourages them to consider the reader's position and health literacy, and write effective documents.’
Megan McBeth, Streamliners
Modular training for your organisation
We know you’re busy, and it’s difficult to find the time for professional development. To suit your timetables, we can hold health information workshops for your organisation as a series of modules.
We can offer:
• a half-day workshop
• a lunchtime seminar
• back to back one hour sessions (so everyone can attend)
• small group coaching
• evening or Saturday sessions
A sample of the modules to choose from are:
• What makes health information complex
• How to write or deliver it health information clearly
• Writing a document for a public audience
• What is health literacy?
• Why it matters.